In cooperation with the Carmelite Forum, the Center for Spirituality at Saint Mary's College in Notre Dame, Indiana announces its annual Carmelite Summer Seminar, "Carmel at Prayer: A Surge of the Heart, A Glance Toward Heaven," a title drawn from St. Therese. The seminar offers lectures every morning. Steven Payne, O.C.D., author of St. Therese of Lisieux, Doctor of the Church, will lecture on "A Surge of the Heart: Therese of Lisieux on Prayer." Other lectures include:
- "The Carmelite School of Prayer: A Coat of Many Colors" by Dr. Keith Egan;
- "Rule of Carmel: A Life Structure for Today's Pilgrim"
by John Welch, O. Carm.;
- "Prayer of Recollection and Contemplation
in Teresa of Avila and John of the Cross,"
by Kieran Kavanaugh, O.C.D.; and
- "Journey to the Deepest Center with Edith Stein,"
by Fran Horner, O.C.D. and Mary Fleig, O.C.D..
You may choose a total of four morning and afternoon workshops lasting three sessions each, each attended by a smaller group. Morning workshops include
- "Spiritual Guidance: A Carmelite Approach"
by Kevin Culligan, O.C.D.
- "The Promise of Contemplative Prayer in John of the Cross" by Constance FitzGerald, O.C.D.
- "Carmel and the Child Jesus,"
by Kieran Kavanaugh, O.C.D.
- "Dark Prayer: The Nights of John of the Cross,"
by John Welch, O. Carm. and
- "Praying with John of the Cross' Poetry"
by Dr. Keith Egan.
- "John of the Cross' Spiritual Canticle and Ecospirituality," by Mary Frohlich, RSCJ
- "Touraine: Carmel's Forgotten Reform,"
by Leopold Glueckert, O. Carm.
- "Teresa, Teach Us to Pray,"
by Fran Horner, O.C.D. and Mary Fleig, O.C.D.
- "'All Must be Loved' - Teresa of Avila on Community,"
by Steven Payne, O.C.D.
I have attended this seminar many times, and I recommend it. You do not need to be a Carmelite to attend. The group is friendly and relaxed; each year many attend for the first time, and it is not a social challenge to arrive on your own. For details, click here. Get a discount if your registration is received before May 23.